When you’re selling your house, you don’t want it sitting on the market for months. You want it sold, and you want it sold fast! As a homeowner, there are many things you can do to help sell your home more quickly (and for top dollar). Follow these tips, and you’ll be well on your way to a faster sale!
11 Simple Tips to Help Sell Your House Fast
1. Picture yourself as the buyer. It’s all about first impressions. What do you notice when you drive up to your home? What about when you approach the door and walk in? Try to see your home with fresh eyes. If you were shopping for a home and touring your house, what would you notice that you like? What don’t you like? Is there anything that would be a deal breaker?
Take this a step further and have someone else, such as a neighbor, friend, or family member walk through your home and tell you what appeals to them and what doesn’t. Let them know you won’t be offended by constructive criticism. You want honesty here. Often, homeowners don’t notice some of the most obvious things buyers do since they see the house day in and day out.
2. Improve curb appeal. This is the first thing buyers notice when they look at your home. If they are immediately struck by all the weeds in the landscaping or the toys scattered on the lawn, their initial impression will be less than stellar.
Clean up the toys and tools, pull the weeds, trim the trees and shrubs, sweep and clean the patio or porch, plant some flowers, and paint the front door. Make that all-important first impression!
3. Clean everything. A clean house not only feels more comfortable and welcoming to buyers, but it also shows pride of ownership. When buyers see you’ve taken care of the cleaning, they’ll assume you have taken care of repairs and maintenance too. Plus, buyers want a super clean house to move into.
When you’re selling your house, you should clean everything until it shines. Clean appliances, baseboards, and behind furniture. Mirrors and windows should be crystal clear. You should be able to eat off of the bathroom and kitchen floors. Take it one room at a time and work from one end of the room to the other. (And don’t forget to neutralize odors!)
4. Declutter your stuff. Buyers need to be able to picture themselves living in your home. But if your house is stuffed full of things, it will be impossible for them to do this. Plus, a lot of stuff makes an area feel small.
Minimize everything before you list your house for sale. Sometimes you can get the extra stuff into a few small totes. If you have more than a few totes, consider renting a storage unit or borrowing storage space from friends or family. Buyers don’t want to see the closet, garage or basement stuffed to the brim. They want to picture space for all of their own stuff!
5. Paint. A fresh coat of paint is a cheap and easy way to transform and update a home. Paint makes a room feel clean, bright and modern. Choose a neutral color palette, such as whites, grays or beiges.
6. Minimize the presence of pets. You love Fido and Tabby like one of the family. But buyers don’t feel the same.
The presence of pets makes buyers think of smells, stains, damage, and fur. Clean up all evidence of your pets before showing your house. Not only should you repair any damage and de-fur everything, but you should stow pet supplies, including bowls and leashes, out of sight.
Make arrangements to have your pet(s) out of the house during showings whenever possible.
7. Stage your home. A Real Estate Staging Association study reports that staged homes sell 90% faster than unstaged homes.
You can stage the home yourself, or hire a pro to help out. Simply decluttering and rearranging or eliminating furniture can make your home feel more inviting. Do other things to make your home feel welcoming too. Try setting out fresh flowers, a bowl of colorful fruit, new towels, and set the dining table to welcome buyers as if they were guests.
8. Hire a real estate agent. The benefits of hiring a real estate agent far outweigh the costs. Though you will pay real estate commissions to your agent, your agent has the know-how to help you with everything from pricing strategy and marketing to negotiation and paperwork. (Plus, research shows that homes listed by a real estate agent sell for more money!1)
9. Price it right. Price is one of the critical factors for a quick sale! If you price your home right from the start, you’ll attract more buyers rapidly. Not only that but in a competitive market, it’s possible to receive multiple offers.
Deciding on the “right” price can be hard. Of course, you want to get as much money as possible for your house, but you also want to attract numerous buyers and make a quick sale.
The best way to decide on a price is to compare your home to other similar homes that have recently sold in your neighborhood. Your real estate agent will guide you through the process and provide you with all the information you need to make a pricing decision.
10. Use professional photos and virtual tours. With most buyers using the internet as their primary search tool, the first thing they look for are photos and virtual tours. Having great pictures and a virtual tour will get the right buyers through your door. Also, research has shown homes with professional images, and virtual tours sell faster and for more money.2
11. Be flexible. Your home has to be shown to be sold. Though it’s sometimes inconvenient, having your home ready to show at all times will pay off. Try to be accommodating and allow buyers and their agents to access your home at their requested times.
It might take a little time and preparation, but taking these simple steps will put you well on your way to selling your house faster!
Whether you’re selling or buying a home, the process can feel intimidating and overwhelming. But it doesn’t have to. At Coluzzi Real Estate, we answer all your questions and simplify the process. We’re here for you every step of the way. Please don’t hesitate to contact us today!
image credit: pexels